Meet Matthew Spencer Petersen:
Mr. Petersen heads the Federal Election Commission’s legal team and has some experience with election law. But in the video above, you’ll see that under questioning, he revealed that:
- He’s never tried a case to completion in either state or federal court
- He’s never even argued a motion in either state or federal court
- He doesn’t even know what certain motions are
- He hasn’t read the Federal Rules of Evidence since law school
- He hasn’t read the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure since… well, he didn’t actually even answer that one
President Trump submitted this man to the Senate for confirmation as a United States District Judge, a lifetime appointment to an extraordinarily powerful position. A U.S. District Judge has the authority to issue restraining orders against the federal government, decide death penalty cases, and safeguard (or disregard) constitutional rights.
Yet the man that Trump wants to have the job has never been a judge. He’s almost never been in a courtroom. This man is utterly unqualified, and to make the point, this year I — as a law student — can answer all of those questions more favorably than he can. I’m in no way qualified to be a U.S. District Judge, but this appointment is merely a joke that’s not funny.
If you didn’t hear about Mr. Petersen, perhaps it’s because you watch Fox News, which reported the hearing like this:
They entirely left off the part about the unqualified man being destroyed during a confirmation hearing, presenting the day as an epic win for Trump because the Senate confirmed 2 out of 5 of the President’s nominees. Now that is fake news.